- > For Alumni
A library card is available to alumni (degree holders) of Doshisha University and Graduate School who wish to use the library. The card is not issued to alumni of Doshisha Women’s College of Liberal Arts or other Doshisha schools (Please see ‘ For Visitors
Applying for a library card
- When and where to apply
Please visit the main counter in person during opening hours from Monday to Friday.
- Required materials for application
- Original of any one of the following (to confirm your current address): driver’s license, health insurance card, an official copy of your resident certificate (issued up to a month before application), passport, etc.
- Application form ［Excel 30KB］
You can also obtain an application form at the reception counter or the main counter of the library.
- A photograph of your face (3cm×3cm, either color or black and white)
- A fee of 1,000 yen for issuing a library card and a payment certificate A payment certificate is issued by the certificate issuance machine.
For the location of certificate issuance machines, please visit ‘Certificates’ on the Doshisha University website (in Japanese) .
- Application Procedures
- Please fill out an application form with your photo attached and bring it to the office of the faculty or graduate school from which you graduated to receive a graduation confirmation seal. As the location and opening hours differ in each faculty and graduate school, please confirm before visiting .
- Submit the application form with complete with graduation confirmation seal to the main counter of the library.
- A library card is issued upon confirmation of your current address.
- With the library card, you can enter the library and check out materials, as well as renew loan items or make reservations online.
About the library card
- Always carry your library card with you when you visit the Imadegawa Library or the Learned Memorial Library. Please read instructions on the back of the library card.
- One library card is issued per person. Loss or theft of a library card must be reported to the main counter immediately. A replacement card will be issued for 1,000 yen.
- A library card can be used from the afternoon of the next working day following the submission of your application.
- Any changes in personal information, such as address, telephone number, etc., should be reported immediately to the main counter of the library.
- Please return your library card immediately if you no longer use it.
- A library card must be renewed at the end of each year, with confirmation of relevant information (current address, etc.). Please bring the original of either your driver’s license, health insurance card, an official copy of your resident certificate (issued up to a month before application), passport, etc.
Library Usage Guide
EU materials, Doshisha Material Room’s documents
- To check out books or materials you wish to borrow, please bring them to the main counter along with your library card. You may borrow up to 5 open-stack items for two weeks and 5 closed-stack items for one month.
- The loan period is subject to change during long vacation periods. Please check the bulletin board at the library or the library’s website.
- The following materials are not available for loan. They can be used inside the library only.
Reference materials, periodicals (academic journals, magazines, newspapers, court reports), microforms, audio-visual materials, rare books, non-circulating materials,
|Returning||Please return any borrowed materials at the main counter, or drop them in the Book Return Slot if the library is closed, before the due date.|
*You may return materials to either Imadegawa Library or the Learned Memorial Library.
|Renewal||If you wish to renew borrowed materials, please bring them to the main counter with your library card before the due date. |
- You will not be able to renew an item if it has been requested by another person.
- Renewal can be done online via MY DOORS .
|Reservation||You can reserve an item that is currently on loan to someone else. |
only for users who provide their email address when their library cards are issued.)
- Please fill out a reservation form at the main counter or reserve online via DOORS (or MobileDOORS).
- You can reserve up to 10 items.
- You will be informed by email when reserved items become available. (This service is
- Reserved items will be held for 10 days from notification of availability.
|Online Services||In addition to renewing and reserving library materials, you can check your library record via MY DOORS .|
|Delivery Request||You can request books and other materials from the other campus library, please fill out a request form and apply at the main counter.|
|Materials of Research Laboratories||If you wish to use materials of research laboratories, please inquire at the main counter or the reference counter.|
Availabilities and usage rules are different depending on each research laboratory.
*If you have overdue items, you will not be able to borrow, renew, reserve or make any requests.
|Closed-stack materials||You can use closed-stack materials at Imadegawa Library. Please fill out an application form and submit it to the main counter with your library card.|
|Materials in the Rare Books Room|
- Materials in the Rare Books Room of Imadegawa Library can be used in the library office after filling out a request form.
- You are not permitted to borrow the materials, nor request to have them delivered to libraries on other campuses.
- Taking photocopies of any of the materials is strictly forbidden. Only handwritten copying is allowed.
- Personal laptops can be used in the library office.
- The Rare Books Room is open from 10:00 to 19:00 during lecture periods, from 10:00 to 17:00 during non-lecture periods, and from10:00 to 17:00 during the summer
|Photocopying||Photocopying of library materials is permitted within the limits of copyrights law.|
|Audio-visual materials||To use audio-visual materials, such as videos, DVDs and CDs, please bring them to the reception desk of the Multimedia Library with your library card. You can freely enjoy them within the Multimedia Library, though they are not available for circulation.|
|PC Corner||You are not permitted to use the library’s PC Corner.|
|Reference Service||We only accept requests to locate library materials.|
|Materials of other universities||You are not permitted to use interlibrary services such as the photocopying or loaning of materials of other universities and organizations.|
|Libraries of Doshisha Women’s College of Liberal Arts||You may use the materials of the libraries of Doshisha Women’s College of Liberal Arts if you submit the application in advance. Please consult with the reference counter. |
You are not permitted to borrow the materials of the college, nor make requests to send for materials from other campus libraries of the college.
Rules for Library Users
- Opening days and hours are subject to change. Please check the library calendar before visiting the library.
- To enter the library, please bring your student ID, employee ID, or a letter of introduction.
- You are not allowed to enter the library without one of these.
- It is forbidden to talk on a cell phone, eat, drink, smoke or chat in the library.
Please do not enter the library with beverages in plastic bottles or cartons.
- If you cause trouble to other users or do not follow the instructions of the library staff, you may be asked to leave the library.
- Do not lend materials you borrow to others.
- Library materials must be handled with care and respect. Please do not underline text or annotate documents. If library materials are damaged, defaced or lost, the borrower will be asked to pay for repair or replacement.
- The library has no lockers so please keep your belongings with you and be sure to keep them in sight at all times.
- Please use public transportation when you visit the library. Access by car or motorcycle is strictly prohibited.